Re: CDROM problem!

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 20:26 +0100, marc wrote:
> That makes sense, although it was worth checking in case the
> configuration tool assumed certain things. Glad to hear it doesn't.

You can use 'make oldconfig' for that as well. I usually do that when
I'm upgrading to a new kernel. It will run through the list of all
config options, and only ask you about the new stuff.

> Okay, but I wanted to start on a known working kernel. I did this, and
> managed to get it working - with the missing CDROM, as expected.

Sure, that sounds like a safe approach.

> Onward. Since I am running stable, I added a testing 'deb src' to
> sources.list, did apt-get update, but no linux-source-2.6.12.... debs
> were present. So I went to :
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
> and found:
> http://packages.debian.org/testing/devel/linux-source-2.6.12
> Since I couldn't apt-get install this, I've downloaded it.
> My question is how to I make this package known to apt?
> I installed it via dpkg -1 ... but I'd like apt to know about it, if
> possible,

You could take a look at pinning. But I always do it like you do as
well. So, I have the testing stuff in my sources.list (no deb-src lines
in my case), and I manually download unstable packages. In general, that
keeps the number of unstable packages small, and when I forget about
them, they tend to end up in testing anyway, so from that time on, they
are updated automatically.
Currently, I think I only use linux-source-2.6.12 from unstable, all
other packages are from testing.

Koen