Re: asus_acpi module install problem

ferro.l@libero.it:

> I'm new to linux, I've just installed a debian distro of it (version 31r0a,
> kernel 2.4.27 because I didn't manage to install with 2.6) on my laptop
> (ASUS A3500N) and I'm trying to get the system working.
> Unfortunately I had problems during the asus_acpi installation...

I don't know whether 2.4.x already contains acpi4asus. 2.6.x does so you
don't have to mess with it yourself.

> I tried to include the output of /proc/acpi/asus/info and /proc/acpi/dsdt
> but I cannot locate the directory /proc/acpi/

That means none of the ACPI modules has been loaded. Probably you have
to boot with acpi=on or something like that. I guess your kernel uses
APM by default.

> so I included every step of my installation process plus dmesg
> (sorry if the output is too long, but I chose not to modify it).
> I can tell you that also my soundcard isn't working at all (I don't know if it
> could be of some interest) and linux doesn't see I've got a battery (he acts
> as if I am "no battery - plugged in").

I think both of these symptoms are a result of your kernel not using
ACPI but APM. I guess your sound hardware needs snd_intel8x0 and IIRC
this module depends on ACPI.

> Maybe I should update to a 2.6.x kernel but I have fear not to be able to boot
> my system after this (and I probably won't be able to restore the previous kernel).
> If you need some others informations please tell me!

If you install the kernel "the Debian way", there's almost no risk
involved. Simply install 'kernel-image-2.6-686' (this package always
depends on the latest 2.6 kernel) and apt should set up your bootloader
(grub or lilo) to display a menu at boot which offers you to choose
between the kernels (or some other OS you might have installed).

You still might to add some boot parameters to make ACPI work. I don't
know them from the top of my head but they should be easy to google (or
someone else might step in).

J.
--
If I was a supermodel I would give all my cocaine to the socially
excluded.