Re: home WPA-secured network -- as simple as possible

Matej Cepl <ceplm@seznam.cz> writes:
> Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> If I had realized that you wanted to use NDISwrapper with the card I
>> would have suggested that there may be issues.  Also, as noted, you may
>> need a newer driver or firmware for the Orinoco card to enable WPA
>> support.[1]
>
> OK, so I back off. I really do not want to dive into non-standard drivers
> (and even firmware!) that much

The firmware upgrades I needed for my Orinoco supported card are stock
standard upgrades from the manufacturer.  In fact, if you ran the latest
Windows drivers for that card they would upload the same firmware to RAM
(on the card) for you.

If you then (soft) booted into Linux, the upgrade would have already
been done.  OTOH, I can understand not being real enthused about
upgrading firmware, etc. :)

> and I really do not want to share that much secrets on our home
> network. What I really wanted and needed is that if my neighbor opens
> his Windows-notebook he won't get in Wireless networks my home network
> as open for his use, so that at least he will be asked for some key or
> something.

Sure.  The standard solution for this, then, would be to turn on WEP,
and possibly to run something like OpenVPN[1] or IPSec over the network
-- and don't allow anything else through.

[...]

> wireless_enc xxxx-xxxx-xx restricted
>
> in /etc/networks/interfaces? Does it do anything to my Windows-using
> neighbor?

Sure, that programs a WEP key and refuses to accept packets from the
network that are not WEP encrypted.

That should be enough to discourage *most* people from breaking in.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  http://openvpn.net/