Kernel, modules and GCC format (was Kernel and modules configuration optimized for IBM ThinkPad R50e)

>>"Gorjanc Gregor" <Gregor.Gorjanc@bfro.uni-lj.si> writes:
>>
>> I just bought IBM ThinkPad R50e and I successfully installed Debian
>> testing on it. Works nice. Is there anyone who is willing to share
>> kernel (2.6) and any modules configuration optimized for this brand?
>> I really get lost in 'make menuconfig', it is just to technical for
>> my hardware/computer knowledge.
>
>My advice to you would be to stick with the Debian default kernel:
>
>The only significant feature that isn't supported by it[1] is the IBM
>ACPI extras, which you can live without, and it does come with
>everything compiled as modules nicely.
>
>Once you *know* why you need a custom kernel, build one.  Change for the
>sake of change is seldom /forward/ progress. ;)

Thanks to Daniel, Nate and Arjen for the response.

You all made fair statements and I am convinced to stay with Debians
kernel. I just installed 2.6.11-1-686 image but now I have other problem.
I installed sources for ipw2200 and thinkpad modules and tried to install
them via 'module-assistant' and for ipw2200 it went fine. However, I am
not able to load the module, since the format is not the right one. I don't
have the exact message, since I write from Windows at the moment :( I have
"GCC 4", while kernel might be compiled with "GCC 3.3", just guessing.
Should I compile kernel with config, from /boot of currently installed
kernel or is it something else? I know this list is not primary place for
such issues, but since it came up from above discussion I hope anyone can
help me with it.

Thanks in advance, Gregor