Re: X on Vaio A417M (Radeon Mobility X600)

Hello,

I've got my display up, using fglrx on XFree 4.3. Thanks.

Using kernel 2.6.12.3, the kernel module fails to install, saying

    fglrx: Unknown symbol inter_module_get

Google suggests the only option here is to wait for ATI to wake up and
start using modern kernel APIs. Until then, I can manage without 3d
acceleration.

I've got a few other questions:

    Suspend:

This is the biggie. ACPI suspend (i.e. 'echo disk > /sys/power/state')
doesn't do it. I've grabbed what worked on my Tosh Satellite Pro 6100,
but it fails on the Vaio.

When I throw a suspend, it does what I expect (freeing memory, ACPI
gubbins) up to "Writing image to disk: 0%" and that's where it all
goes wrong. Instead of counting up the percentage, it prints

    <3>ata1: command 0x35 timeout, stat 0x50 host_stat 0x24.

every 10 seconds or so, and that's it. This is on both 2.6.12.3  and .4.

I've seen suggestions that swsusp doesn't work with SATA drives,
although I'm not sure if that's current. Should I try out pmdisk or
swsusp2?

    Soft buttons:

The soft buttons and the brightness control both seen to be part of
the sonypi package. But the brightness control (spicctrl -b) works and
the buttons (which include the volume and CDROM eject) don't. (As far
as I can tell, there's little prospect of seeing a driver for the
brightness sensor).

Installing the sonypi module results in a handful of

    sonypi command failed at drivers/char/sonypi.c : sonypi_call1 (line 589)

Now, there's some discussion on this relating to 2.6.13-rc4-mm1 on
lkml and it looks like a fix may be coming through. I did try the
patch it refered to, but I just ended up with a kernel that crashed
about three moments after unpacking.

    Touchpad:

According to the input layer, it's a:

    AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint on isa0060/serio1

It's working pretty well. I'm a little disappointed with the
resolution - fine adjustment is very hard - but the real problem is
that I can not get dragging to work. click or double click work, but
the tap-and-drag doesn't. The config at the moment is:

  Option        "LeftEdge"              "120"
  Option        "RightEdge"             "970"
  Option        "TopEdge"               "120"
  Option        "BottomEdge"            "650"
  Option        "FingerLow"             "14"
  Option        "FingerHigh"            "15"
  Option        "MaxTapTime"            "180"
  Option        "MaxTapMove"            "220"
  Option        "EmulateMidButtonTime"  "75"
  Option        "VertScrollDelta"       "40"
  Option        "HorizScrollDelta"      "40"
  Option        "MinSpeed"              "1"
  Option        "MaxSpeed"              "1"
  Option        "AccelFactor"           "0.2"
  Option        "EdgeMotionMinSpeed"    "200"
  Option        "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed"    "200"
  Option        "UpDownScrolling"       "1"
  Option        "CircularScrolling"     "1"
  Option        "CircScrollDelta"       "0.1"
  Option        "CircScrollTrigger"     "7"

The circular scrolling thing, BTW, is insanely great. ;)

	Iain.