Solution to - Sarge installer can not find DVD to install the base system Debian 3.1 r0a

Hi all,

I have spent a whole day trying to sort this thing out, so I thought I'd publish the solution, just in case others confront the same problem.

I have bought the 01/2006 issue of the Linux-Magazin.de with Debian Sarge 3.1 r0a to install it on my Gericom 1st Supersonic M6T laptop. I can boot fine from the built-in DVD and all my hardware gets detected, just when the base system should get installed (just after the partitioning) the installer can not find the installation DVD anymore.

To solve this problem I have connected an external USB DVD Drive but booted still from the built-in DVD drive. Then I waited until the installer stumbled, unmounted /cdrom, put the Debian DVD into the external drive and remounted the external drive under /cdrom. In my case it was "mount /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/cd /cdrom". To get to the command line prompt I have used Alt+F2.

Hope this will help somebody to save time,
Egor

This is how the error message looked like:
[!!] Install the base system
Cannot install Debian
The installer cannot figure out how to install Debian. No installable CD-ROM was found and no valid mirror was configured.

The "Detect and mount the CD-ROM" install step exits to the "Debian installer main menu" with no message at all.

P.S.

I believe the problem is somewhere on the hardware side of the built in DVD drive.