Re: Dynamic MMap ran out of room!!!

Steve Lamb wrote:

> Tim Connors wrote:
>> Or what about
>> automatically doubling each time it runs out of room, and starting again
>> (along with an appropriate warning message as to how not to keep doing
>> this)?
>
>     Kinda defeats the purpose of limiting the amount of space the process
> uses.  I mean which is better, a clear error message or the machine being
> dropped into swap hell?

First, there isn't a clear error message - a clear message would tell you
what to do about it - and, second, if they need more memory to do what they
want to do, they should be able to.  If you really think it's a bad thing,
put up warning messages until they manually override the limits in
apt.conf.

When I ran into this some months ago, I googled and found an answer, but it
wasn't enough because the person who wrote the solution didn't have my
configuration.  So I had to mess around until I found a number large enough
to work for me.  A clear error message would tell you how large a limit you
needed to set in apt.conf.
--
derek