Re: failed ifup leaves device up

Thomas Hood wrote:
> See also bug #286148.

Yes, that's it. A contrary to your experience I encountered the described
problem many times.

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    pre-up if grep -q ndiswrapper /proc/modules ; then :; else modprobe
ndiswrapper; fi
    up /usr/local/sbin/setsmtp smtp.seznam.cz

was just a call for such problems, when I was on extremely bad wireless
network (actually, I was getting signal from unknown open wireless router).
Or if you add ifplugd to the mix (with server down and "auto eth0", which
only now I found to be misconfiguration mentioned in ifplugd's README), you
can get there very easily as well.

Matej

I know of no country in which there is so little independence of
mind and real freedom of discussion as in America.
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville