Cascading configuration of ifupdown [Was: Re: ifplugd, guessnet, ifscheme, ...]

Enrico Zini wrote:
> That might finally be a way of putting our efforts together: I could
> hack guessnet to do some network scan when it sees a D-BUS request, and
> whereami can be the reconfiguration backend.
>
> Let's see when that comes to Debian.

One thought to the previous discussion about network configuration: is it
possible with ifupdown to create some kind of cascading configurations?
What I mean is, that while being back in Boston I found out that sometimes
I can get access to some open wireless router -- the connection was really
crappy, it stopped working anytime, but when it was on, then it was
certainly much faster than my regular dial-up connection. How could I sent
my network like "use wlan0 for the Internet connection, but when it is not
available then go for eth0 (where was the server connecting us to the
Internet via modem)"?

Any ideas?

        Matej

Courage is resistance of fear, mastery of fear, not absence of
fear.