Re: new debian user trouble with dwl-650 wireless network card

Andrew McMillan wrote:
On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 21:22 -0500, Dan Elliott wrote:

According to the pictures found at http://support.dlink.com/products/revision.asp my wireless card should be one of DWL-650 Rev A1-J3.

Assuming I have surmised the correct Rev, dlink says my card uses the Prism chip set. According to Andrew's post the card should work with the installation as is? That has not been my experience.

Is there a Linux command that could probe for the chip set of this device? Understanding which device drivers are installed and/or loaded is something I know little about (especially with Debian). Where do you suggest I begin looking for the source of my problem.

Well, you will certainly need the wireless-tools package installed, and
iwconfig might show you something, if your card has been detected when
you plugged it in.

Apparently, the card is not being detected.  After inserting the card
(inserted after boot) iwconfig returns "no wireless extensions."

What does 'cardctl info" or "cardctl status" show?

cardctl info returns

PRODID_1:"D"
PRODID_2:"Link DWL-650 11Mbps WLAN Card"
PRODID_3:"Version 01.02"
PRODID_4:""
MANFID=0156,0002
FUNCID=6

What do you see from
"lspci -v" regarding the card?  There are actually two sets of drivers
for the Prism cards, one lot in the kernel, and the other lot in the
"hostap" packages, so you might want to try those drivers and see if
they work better for you.

Do you get modules loaded when you plug the card in?  What does "lsmod"
say before / after?

No change :-/

I'm currently updating to the latest testing branch. How concerned should I be that the machine didn't seem to detect the device?

Thanks for the help thus far. I will be careful to install the wireless-tools and probably anything else associated with wireless cards.

- dan