Re: LESS for reading, and VI for editing, but not working anymore

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 14:00 +0200, Benedek Frank wrote:
> Hi
>
> Always, when I read a file, I type for example
>
> less /etc/acpi/acpi
>
> And in LESS,  I can press "v" and I will get into vi for editing. It was
> very fne upuntil now, but nowdays I was removing quite a few packages,
> and suddenly when I press "v" inside "less" I will get mc's (Midnight
> Commander) editor, which is the blue screen. I really prefer hi the real
> good old "vi" for editing. How can I put it back? By the way, "vi" is
> still installed (nvi) and I can execute it like
>
> vi /etc/acpi/acpi
>
> Why less wont use vi as it's editor anymore?

>From the less manpage:

v      Invokes an editor to edit the current file  being  viewed.   The
       editor is taken from the environment variable VISUAL if defined,
       or EDITOR if VISUAL is not defined, or defaults to "vi" if  nei-
       ther  VISUAL  nor EDITOR is defined.  See also the discussion of
       LESSEDIT under the section on PROMPTS below.

Check your VISUAL and EDITOR environment variables.

/Sebastian