Announcing Debian kernel-patch-suspend2/experimental

Hello, world.

I have just finished the first public (yet EXPERIMENTAL!) version of
the Debian software suspend 2 patch (www.suspend2.net). The patch
integrates with Debian's kernel-package and modifies the
kernel-image in such a way as to automatically modify any initial
ramdisk and reinitialise swap partitions to preven data loss.

The patch currently supports Debian kernels 2.6.8 and 2.6.10. For
best results, use the latest kernel. I did most of my testing with
2.6.10 on i386. Patches for 2.4.2[789] and 2.6.11 are also included
but not tested. 2.4.27 does not currently apply to the Debian
kernels, but should be usable with vanilla ones.

Help in porting the patch to other Debian kernels would be greatly
appreciated. I am especially looking for an elegant way to support
Debian and vanilla kernels from the same source.

I am not going to upload the patch to unstable yet, but it has been
submitted to the Debian experimental archive. It will go into
unstable when I have received enough positive feedback and no
serious bugs exist.

At this point, I want to thank Nigel and everyone else who
contributed for the slick patch, which works very nicely. Also
thanks to Nigel for backporting the 2.1 version to the 2.6.8.1
kernel, which is going to be the standard 2.6 kernel for Debian
sarge.

If you want to give the patch a whirl, you can obtain it from the
following APT repository:

  deb http://debian.maduck.net ~madduck/packages/stage/kernel-patch-suspend2/
  deb-src http://debian.maduck.net ~madduck/packages/stage/kernel-patch-suspend2/

then install it:

  apt-get update
  apt-get install kernel-patch-suspend2

and then compile the kernel:

  tar xjf /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.10.tar.bz2
  cd kernel-source-2.6.10
  make-kpkg --added-patches suspend2 ... binary

Then, install the kernel-image and reboot.

Note that I did my testing using an initial ramdisk (basically the
plain Debian kernel with SUSPEND2 enabled). If you can use an
initial ramdisk, pass the --initrd option to make-kpkg and be done.
Without an initial ramdisk, you have to make sure to pass the right
'resume2' value to the kernel via Grub/Lilo, or whichever is your
bootloader. I plan to add a warning about this when I have more
time.

I suggest also pulling in the hibernate image (kernel images with
this patch will Recommend it). With UseSwsusp2 set to yes in
/etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf, just running 'hibernate' should
suspend the machine, and it should come back up without any more of
your doing when you start it again.

Even though I did all testing on my productive machine(s) and lost
no data (knock on wood), it's probably best if you try it on
a less-important machine. Nevertheless, you can turn off
$CHECK_SWAP_PARTITIONS_ON_BOOT in /etc/default/suspend2 to prevent
the swap partition check. Make sure to read
http://suspend2.net/HOWTO-4.html#ss4.4 about this issue.

Have fun, feedback welcome.

`. `'`