Re: compiling kernels newer than 2.6.8

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 15:40, Kai Hildebrandt wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:19:58 -0400
>
> Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 01 February 2005 08:52, Dale Harris wrote:
> > > On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 01:08:57PM +0100, Kai Hildebrandt
> > >
> > > elucidated:
> >
> > I don't think it's even true with 2.4.  I'm sure I've used vanilla
> > kernels and, despite the warning, got a working initrd.  "make-kpkg
> > --initrd..."--
>
> Hard to believe because cramfs only works with debian patched
> kernelsources. Even the vanilla-kernel 2.6.10 does not support cramfs on
> initrd.
>
> Probably your initrd is not needed to mount the root filesystem? Check
> you dmesg output!

Well, I have a debian-source 2.6.7 and a vanilla-source 2.4.27, I've compiled
them both, both configured with CONFIG_CRAMFS=y and compiled with "make-kpkg
--initrd" and (a) they both have an initrd file; (b) they boot :-); (c) my
main file systems are indeed compiled into the kernel, but I'm pretty sure I
tried both of these _without_ an initrd and couldn't boot them.  Possibly,
I'm wrong on that - I just compile these things, I don't claim to understand
them :-)  I _did_ think that if it even offered me a CONFIG_CRAMFS option, it
must have the "cramfs" patch.
--
derek