Re: Really small kernel

Hi ognjen Bezanov, *,

ognjen Bezanov wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to find a way to find out what things i need to enable for my
> laptop to function.
>
> I want to compile a kernel which only has support for the hardware im
> using and no module support

Why no modules? Modules only have a slight overhead, when loading. After
this they perform like built-in modules.

> Is there any command which will let me view all the hardware on my pc
> and what respective setting i need on my .config file?

lshw is a good tool to find out, what is in your laptop. also you should
consider using lspci. both together should give you a really good overview.
the only problem is to "translate" these infos into a .config. i don't know
of any tool which is capabale of doing this job.
the best way to do, what you want is running the distclean target of the
kernel and starting with the allnoconfig target. from this startingpoint you
can enable the different settings via menuconfig or similar.

> I want to make the kernel as small as possible

Remember, size only matters at boot time (maybe 3-5% faster startup) or when
you really don't have much ram available.

Kind regards
Martin

--
Martin Theiß <mtheiss@neo.wh-stutgart.de>
GPG-Fingerprint: EC80 53A2 F0A2 6E6C 74D2  CB6E 002A F6D3 E78B 7F45

The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux - TKK 5