RE: Any debian 2.6.x kernel ACPI success stories?

Steinar Bang wrote:

> > You can't have apm _and_ acpi.  It's not supposed to turn on ACPI
> > options if apm is already enabled.  However, I'm not sure if it's
> > even guaranteed which will be turned on first.
>
> I don't think it matters whether it's there or not, because the Dell
> BIOS doesn't support APM.  So APM will never be enabled even if apmd
> is running, and trying to pull in the APM modules (I've tried).

That's neither here nor there.  If you don't think it matters, turn it off.
"Dell" bioses definitely do support APM.  Perhaps not yours, but I know
people who have refused to upgrade to ACPI bioses because APM works very
well for them.

> What log do ACPI events usually go in?  Should I expect to find events
> for the stuff that work, such as fan, and shutdown?

ACPI events are logged wherever you have them configured.  Mine are, indeed,
all in /var/log/acpid (acpid must configure that itself, because I used to
get them in syslog). You should have events for every time you plug in the
AC and remove it, and for every time you open and close the lid.  Those are
easy to check.  You won't see an event for "shutdown", but you should see
power button events.  However, I don't know about you, but with a stock
acpid I can't actually use the power button to wake my system with acpid
running - it immediately goes into shutdown mode.

> > What sleep modes does your hardware support?
>
> $ cat /proc/acpi/sleep
> S0 S1 S3 S4 S4bios S5
>
> >> echo 4 >/proc/acpi/sleep
>
> > I didn't _think_ that was the official way to do it anymore...
>
> What's the official way to do it, then?

I thought it had something to do with the values in /sys/power/state, but I
know that "echo 1 >/proc/acpi/sleep" works on my Dell.  Haven't got anything
else working, yet.

derek