Re: Any debian 2.6.x kernel ACPI success stories?

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 02:20:35PM +0200, Steinar Bang wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the effort, trying to get
> suspend/resume to work on a debian kernel?  Or if I just should give
> in, and build my own kernel?
>
> I really, really, like the convenience of using debian kernels.

Compiling your own kernel has its own benefits, mostly being able to
pick and choose the specific features that you need for your particular
system, instead of a "one size fits all" approach, plus being able to
decide which features go into the kernels and which can be left as a
module, thus reducing bloat.  A kernel compiled with your own cpu will
also be optimized for your hardware, and you can use your compiler
optimizing switches of choice (go with a safe value first until you have
a kernel that boots and always keep an entry in your bootloader to the
last successful build).  Then, of course, there is the distinct pleasure
of doing yet another thing you cannot do in MS Windows ;)

I know compiling your own kernel can be overwhelming at first, with all
those options, but the help system is pretty good and there is
documentation available.  Things have gotten easier with the 2.6 series,
which reads from the current options when you do an upgrade, so you
don't have to figure things out again whenever there is a new kernel
release.  See http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html

--
Ivan Fernández
ivan.fernandez@vanderbilt.edu