Re: Touchpad functionality dissappeared for no apparent reason!

On September 27, 2004 04:40 pm, Sebastian Tennant wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 19:46, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
> > 'modprobe psmouse' (will also insert hid and evdev, maybe others)
>
> Instant success!  They are now both working simultaneously again.
> 'psmouse' is not blacklisted so I've still no idea why it stopped being
> loaded at boot-time.  If I fiigure it out I'll post here.

I'm certain it has to do with order of initialization.  Perhaps if you created
a script /etc/hotplug/usb/mousedev which would just do "modprobe psmouse"
 (I'm pretty sure there's actually a better way to do that...).  I had hoped
that by compiling psmouse into the kernel it would fix the problem, but that
just leaves me with less flexibility...

> Re: your set-up, it seems counter-intuitive to me but the following modules
> are blacklisted in my set-up and I had, (and now have again), both working
> no problem.
>
> usb-uhci
> usbcore

usb-uhci is blacklisted because the one you're actually going to use is
probably  uhci_hcd (they perform the same function).  The alternative (and
probably used in your 2.4 kernel) method would be an alias
in /etc/modules.conf.  usbcore is blacklisted, iirc, to prevent it being
loaded by any device directly.  It is always loaded as a dependency of
usb-uhci or uhci-hcd.

Now, you've got me thinking that perhaps uhci-hcd should be blacklisted for
the same reason - perhaps not.  The system probably can't actually recognize
a USB connection until uhci is installed.

> #these drivers are very simple, the HID drivers are usually preferred
> usbmouse
> usbkbd

 If usbmouse is used (which depends on hidbp instead of hid and evdev) my USB
mouse only works in a vertical orientation.  Not too useful :-)

> Thanks for your time Derek.

You're welcome.  This is stuff I've been puzzling over for months.  Note,
you'll probably need to add psmouse to /etc/modules so that the touchpad is
working next time you boot.
--
derek