[Fwd: Re: Help with Dell 1150 wireless card in Dell 5100]

MB wrote:

Chris Kacoroski wrote:

Jeff Coppock wrote:

Chris Kacoroski wrote:

Hi,

I have a dell 5100 with a dell 1150 wireless card. The card worked under Mandrake, but I cannot get it to work with Debian testing (2.6.7-2 kernel). Iwconfig produces:

eth2      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"Admin-Wireless"  Nickname:"HERMES I"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.457GHz Access Point: 44:44:44:44:44:44
          Bit Rate:2Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
          Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:XXXXXXXXXXXX
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=0/92  Signal level=134/153  Noise level=134/153

wavemon shows the card, but i am not connected. I have checked the password and ESSID with the lan admin and they are correct. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this are appreciated. I do not think I need to recompile the kernel because I can see the card.

It appears that the card is up and running, but you just need to get IP configured. If you know DHCP is available on the WLAN, try requesting an IP address using "dhclient eth2". If this works, then all you need to do is add "eth2" to your /etc/network/interfaces file so next time eth2 comes up, the ifupdown script will automaticallly run the dhcp client on that interface.

jc

I have tried ifconfig and dhcclient with no luck. They seem to not see the network.

ski

Jeff,

Looks like the card is not connecting to the access point.  Have you
been successful conecting to ANY access point?  If you are in Davis,
you can head to just about any coffee shop and try:

iwconfig eth2 essid any  <-- Or find out the network name, and
capitalization matters.
iwconfig eth2 key off
dhclient eth2

And things should just "work"

Mark

Mark

Thanks for all the comments. I finally got to the library which

has an open system.  Still no luck so it must be the card or OS.

I put mandrake 10 on an open partition and will try it tomorrow.

If that doesn't work the next step will be to load on windows.

if that doesn't work then I know it is the card.

What I do not understand is why the card would show up, but it will not
connect.

ski