Problems with PCMCIA card

Hi all,

I have having trouble running my SMC2835W wireless card.  I am using
the prism54 driver to drive it, with the latest firmware from their
website.  I followed the instructions, but when I did "ifconfig eth1
up", I get the following:

eth1: islpci_open()
eth1: resetting device...
eth1: uploading firmware...
eth1: firmware uploaded done, now triggering reset...
eth1: device soft reset timed out
eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response 1000, trigging device
eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response
eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response 1000, trigging device
eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response
eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response 1000, trigging device
eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response
eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response 1000, trigging device
eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response
eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full

Now, I'm guessing that maybe my pcmcia setup is incorrect.  When
re-installing pcmcia-cs, i get something like

"irq 11: nobody cared",
then a dump of the trace, then
some errors about device wanting irq 11, but has irq 5, and something
about pirq not matching irq value.  Sorry I'm using my PC now so I
can't copy & past the exactly error.

This error message is from the yenta_socket module, as I re-produced it by doing
rmmod -f yenta_socket
modprobe yenta_socket

After loading pcmcia-cs (well yenta_socket), lspci shows that the
Intersil Prism-GT device in the last line.  It "seems" to be loaded.
Un-plugging/re-inserting the card does not trigger any change in the
system.

By the way, /proc/interrupts also show that irq5 used by ALSi sound,
yenta, and eth1.

I am very puzzled at how to get this to work.  I do not understand
most of the error messages I see above.  If anyone can give me some
help it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and thank you for reading,
Frank