Re: WLAN-Card on Sarge

> Ok, now I'm confused.  In the pcmcia-cs package there's the cardmgr
> program that, if I understand correctly, reads /etc/pcmcia/config* files
> on startup.  Then when a card is inserted cardmgr matches the card to a
> device id (from the config file(s)) and load modules.  It then loads the
> associated "class" script -- which is the network.opts script you
> mentioned, and if nothing matches there (on Debian) ifup or ifdown is
> called.  And as you say, ifup/ifdown use /etc/network/interfaces to
> configure things.

That's right.

> But then I see you have a "mapping hotplug" stanza.  So is hotplug
> managing your pcmcia card inserts?  That is, what's confusing me is I
> though[t] pcmcia-cs (i.e. cardmgr) handled this, yet you are showing a
> stanza defined for hotplug events.

cardmgr manages PCMCIA cards via /etc/pcmcia/network.

Hotplug can do the same thing but it is disabled by default.  If you
enable the hotplug mechanism by adding

    mapping hotplug
    script echo

to /etc/network/interfaces then you should disable the cardmgr
mechanism by putting an

    exit 0

at the top of /etc/pcmcia/network.

> In my network.opts script I modified it to bring down eth0 before
> bringing up the wireless interface (eth1 in my case), and when the card
> is removed call ifup eth0.  What I'd like to figure out is how to not
> bring up eth0 unless a cable is plugged in.

You can use ifplugd for that.

> I'm having so many problems with wireless now.  I think my hardware must
> be failing as I'm having the same problems with different drivers.
> Lately when I remove my wireless card my machine will freeze hard.
> Seems like these problems started with upgrading to 2.6.5, but I also
> suspect my wireless hardware is failing since I often have to hard reset
> my AP.

It is most likely buggy drivers causing lockups.

Expect further problems.  Debian's support for dynamic configuration sucks.
To gain an understanding of how badly it sucks, start reading the bugs
open against hotplug and ifupdown.
--
Thomas Hood