Re: Problems using internal speakers on Inspiron 8600

I think I have the same card (Dell Inspiron 5150, snd_intel8x0 module);
mute/unmute works well for me with the external speakers through
alsamixer, but you may want to try the alsa commandline mixer and see if
it complains about something.  In my system the command would be

amixer set 'External Amplifier' unmute

If 'External Amplifier' doesn't do anything, it may be another control
name, look at the output from amixer controls.

--
Ivan Fernández
ivan.fernandez@vanderbilt.edu