Re: New Sarge Net Installer and Grub

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Jeff Coppock wrote:
> I've been experimenting with the new NetInst CD in VMWare, since I
> don't have a scratch system. The installer defaults to Grub for a boot
> loader and also defaults to installing into MBR. The setup also uses
> an initrd kernel.

[...]

> I've been using non-initrd kernels for a long time and just want to
> understand why one won't boot in this new environment. Does anyone
> know what the issue might be with this?

I can't say why your environment is failing, but I can say that using
grub as the boot loader works for me - using non-initrd kernels.  Has
done forever, pretty much.

It might be worth a try to remove the 'mbr' package and install grub in
the root of the disk, to see if that is the cause of it.

> Also, why is the bootloader default changing from Lilo to Grub?

I can't speak for the developers, but I changed a long time ago because
it let me interact with the boot process a lot more directly and
powerfully, especially if the disk layout had changed or the like.

            Daniel

--
The medium is the message. This is merely to say that the personal and social
consequences of any medium ...result from the new scale that is introduced