Re: pcmcia-cs trouble

> Russell Coker wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:00, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> iirc, you didn't have a PCMCIA card, it was a Cardbus card.
>> In which case, it should skip the pcmcia scripts and use HotPlug...
>
> Thanks for this advice.  It seems that hotplug was running
> "ifup eth0=hotplug", I modified it so that it would run "ifup eth0"
> and now it works fine.  I'm not sure if this is a bug in hotplug or
> in my settings for /etc/network/interfaces.

It is a shortcoming in your /etc/network/interfaces.  Earlier,
hotplug's net.agent script ifupped _any_ interface that was hotplugged.
Several people objected to this being the default behavior.  So,
the hotplug maintainer (using an idea from the ifupdown maintainer)
decided to run "ifup IFACE=hotplug" instead.  Unless configured to do
something with this, ifup will do nothing (thus satisfying the
objectors).

Ifup can be configured to turn "ifup IFACE=hotplug" into "ifup IFACE"
(effectively) by adding the following stanza to /etc/network/interfaces.

    mapping hotplug
        script echo

If you only want _some_ interfaces (wifi0, say) to be ifupped on hot
plug and others to be left alone, then add a stanza like the following.

    mapping hotplug
        script grep
        map wifi0

--
Thomas Hood
P.S. Sorry this message won't thread properly.