Re: pppd + alsa + debian = ?

On Apr/24, Andrei Maxim wrote:

> - I've tried to make my ESS1869 sound-card work with Alsa but nothing good
> came out of it.

	I have a card just like that (I've got a Compaq too), but I use it
with OSS, i.e., the modules that come with the kernel. I tried to use ALSA
before, but it didn't work. Using the "sb.o" module it works, though I can't
get rid of the nasty "3D effect" that makes everything sound like s**t :-/ I
use these parameters:

	options sb dma=1 esstype=1869 io=0x220 irq=5 mpu_io=0x330 dma16=5

	I don't remember where I got that data about irqs and dmas from, but I
guess it was from Windows O:-)

> - There are several applications that I'd like to run as root from the KDE
> or GNOME panel, like XMMS (I have a Windows partition with my CDs as .mp3s
> and for some reason Debian only mounts the partitions, but I can't open the
> folders if I am not root) or KPPP (I recieve a 'Permission denied' or 'Could
> not find kppp' error if I am not root) and automounting CDs and Floppies
> when I click on the CDROM or Floppy icon. How do I do all that? If there are

	You probably need to add your user to some groups. For KPPP it surely
is "dialup" (check it looking the permissions of the /dev/ttyS* device that
points to your modem), and for windows partitions you should create a group
and mount them under that group (using the "gid" option in fstab).

> Can anybody help me? I've tried some #linuxhelp channels, but I found only
> deaf ears.

	Typical :-/

> Va rugam sa luati in considerare ca exista un risc de fiecare data cand deschideti

	Is this romanian? I knew it was based on latin, but never knew to what
point; this sentence is quite understandable :-) (my first language is spanish)

--
Roberto Suarez Soto					Alfa21 Outsourcing
    robe@alfa21.com				     http://www.alfa21.com