Re: [newbie] sarge installation howto

Lars Weissflog, 2003-Jan-14 18:27 +0100:
> Hi List,
> after I have successfully installed woody on my Omnibook XE3, I begin to
> realize that many packages are rather outdated in this "stable" release.
> So I tried to find Information on how to install Sarge instead, but
> googleing half the day did not give me any hint on how to do so. Please,
> could anyone help me with this? Where do I get a Net-boot-floppy? I really
> don't want to download the "unofficial" CD-ISOs that are out there because
> they are sooooo BIG.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated!

Since you already have woody up and running, just do a "distribution
upgrade":

1.  change your /etc/apt/sources.list file to include "testing"
    sources.  you can simply preplace all instances of "woody" with
    "testing" or "sarge".  Also, comment out or remove the source for
    woody security updates, that doesn't work for sarge.

2.  change your /etc/apt/preferences file so that the pin priority on
    testing is the highest.  This is only important if you want to
    have access to stable and/or unstable packages/sources.  See man
    apt_preferences for more on this.

3.  change your /etc/apt/apt.conf file so that the default release is
    set to "testing".  Again, this is only important if you want to
    have access to stable and/or unstable packages/sources.  See man
    apt_conf for more on this.

4.  Do "# apt-get update"

5.  Do "# apt-get dist-upgrade"

6.  You may need to run "# apt-get -f install" once or twice afterward
    to fix anything broken, but I've done this 2 times now without a
    hitch.

good luck,
jc

--