Re: upgrade the kernel?

On December 23, 2003 08:06 pm, Tim Harrison wrote:
> I've got everything working now with 2.4.18.  Woohoo!!  Wireless linux!
> But I'm not sure I did things the correct way.
>
> > For whatever reason "make config" doesn't ask me the right question
> > about radios so that DO_ORINOCO gets set.  I'll figure that out
> > tomorrow morning.
>
> I figured this out.  This is dependent on CONFIG_NET_RADIO in the kernel
> build.  So, I rebuilt the kernel with that flag turned on (I just edited
> .config), and then rebuilt the pcmcia-modules.  During the build it asks me
> a bunch more "make config" type questions.  That felt like the wrong time
> to be asking me, so I suspect my editing CONFIG_NET_RADIO directly in
> .config was not the "right" way to do this.

There's nothing wrong with doing it that way.  Whenever you hand-edit
the .config file, it'll run through the 'make config' again to make sure that
any dependent options get configured.  You can change it to invoke one of the
other configurators (like menuconfig) but that makes it less obvious what
options have been turned on by your change, so it's best to leave the
default.
--
derek