Re: upgrade the kernel?

"Tim Harrison" <skippy@heedspin.com> writes:

>> If I was going to pick a kernel for a stable machine, I'd probably pick
>> a 2.4 kernel (2.4.23 if you're compiling your own
>
> Well, I've started going down that path.  My first problem was installing my
> own kernels.  After running dpkg -i newkernel.deb, my lilo.conf would have
> boot=/dev/hda1.

[LILO question snipped; I'm a GRUB user]

> Now that I've got that working, I'm back to hacking on the wireless card.
> Got to figure out the "right" way to get the pcmcia-modules package to build
> the orinoco_cs module.

Given that you're using kernel-package, the "right" way of building it
is pretty straightforward:

  cd /usr/src
  tar xzf pcmcia-cs.tar.gz
  cd $KERNEL_SOURCE_HOME
  make-kpkg modules-image

This does some automated poking around in your kernel configuration to
decide what to build and what not to build, does some compiling, and
should ultimately spit out a pcmcia-modules package along side your
kernel-image package.

> For whatever reason "make config" doesn't ask me the right question
> about radios so that DO_ORINOCO gets set.  I'll figure that out
> tomorrow morning.

...and I'm not having a whole lot of success grovelling through
pcmcia-cs's Configure script.  ISTR that, the last time I was
configuring a kernel, pcmcia-cs wouldn't want to build a particular
module if it thought the kernel was also building it, so you might try
disabling everything PCMCIA-related in your kernel configuration and
rebuilding the world.

> So, umm, kind of an embarrassing question.  How do I get the source
> for said 2.4.23?  (sheepish grin) I don't see it dselect.

It's not even in Debian unstable yet, that I know of.  You can get the
official source from your favorite kernel.org mirror.

	-- Abra Mitchell