speedstep-centrino (was: Kernel 2.6 + i855GM + X?)

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 02:15:33PM +0100, Magnus von Koeller wrote:
> However, I'm not quite sure whether my SpeedStep works. What are your
> experiences in that field? Do you use it?

Yes, it works great. (Although I don't really know how much battery
life this saves.)  I use the cpudyn Debian package (cpudynd user-space
daemon), and the following relevant settings in the kernel:

CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO=m
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=m
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=m
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_24_API=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=m

I load the speedstep-centrino module in my /etc/modules file.
When it's working right, "cat /proc/cpuinfo" should show a low speed
when idle (mine goes to 600MHz), and maximum speed when doing
something (I found DVD playback to be a good test for this).

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u