Re: ACPI, and other kernel things

 --- David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org> escribió:
> I'm looking at building a new kernel for my laptop (an IBM Thinkpad
> T40), and one of the things I'm looking at is adding ACPI support.
> The ACPI HOWTO suggests that the Debian kernel source includes the
> ACPI patch, but the kernel-source-2.4.21 README.Debian doesn't
> explicitly call this out, and the latest 2.4.21 patch mostly (but not
> entirely) applies.  Should I just use the kernel.org kernel source
> here?  Is it worth trying a 2.4.22pre kernel, just to have the latest
> and greatest ACPI?  (Probably not.)
>
> While I'm rebuilding things, I also want to add the appropriate DRI
> module (from dri.sf.net), and fix one or two mildly broken settings.
> Are there any other patches I desparately want to make hardware work
> on this?

Actually, the Debian kernel-source packages have the ACPI patches applied.
However, if you are going to go to through the trouble of building a new
kernel (and if you are running Sarge or Sid), I would just grab a 2.6.0-testX,
either from Debian or the new -test4 that came out last night on kernel.org.

I have been running the new 2.6.0-test kernels since -test1 came out.  I have
a Toshiba Satellite 2805-S401 and the new kernels are rock solid stable.
Here are the highlights as I see them:

- Latest ACPI code is already included in the vanilla kernel
- ALSA sound support is included in the vanilla kernel (OSS is deprecated)
- Latest DRI code (not quite bleeding edge but very recent) is included
  (this doesn't really affect me since my video is not 3D accelerated)

The best part about the 2.6.0 ACPI support (at least for me) is that the BIOS
was blacklisted for ACPI in 2.4.21, becuase of non-conformance to the ACPI
standard, but a work around exists in the new kernel which allows me to use
ACPI.  As a matter of fact the ACPI support in Linux is better than it ever
was with Windows Millennium (it came with the machine) and the proprietary
Toshiba utilities.

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es