Re: Proxim orinoco gold wireless card

Here's some notes I wrote up as I was setting up my IBM Thinkpad T23
(built-in wireless using the Orinoco driver):

Download packages needed/preferred for recompiling a kernel.

apt-get install kernel-package bzip2 libncurses5-dev (for make
menuconfig)

Download the kernel-source and kernel-header packages.

apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.21kernel-headers-2.4.21

Extract the kernel source and create a symlink.

cd /usr/src

bunzip2 -c kernel-source-2.4.21.tar.bz2| tar xvf -

ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.21 /usr/src/linux

Download any kernel-patches.

apt-get install <kernel-patch>

Download the packages for pcmcia support.

apt-get install pcmcia-source pcmcia-cs wireless-tools

Extract the pcmcia-source file. This will unpack into the
/usr/src/modules/pcmcia-cs directory.

cd /usr/src

tar -zxvf pcmcia-source.tar.gz

***

OPTIONAL – Install the AirSnort patches to enable monitor mode on the
built-in Orinoco wireless card.

Install the wget file transfer package.

apt-get install wget

Download the patches to enable monitoring with the built-in wireless
card.

cd /usr/src

wget http://airsnort.shmoo.com/orinoco-0.13b-patched.diff

wget http://airsnort.shmoo.com/pcmcia-cs-3.2.1-orinoco-patch.diff

Patch the kernel source.

cd /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/wireless/

patch < /usr/src/orinoco-0.13b-patch.diff

Patch the pcmcia-source.

cd /usr/src/modules/pcmcia-cs

patch -p0 < /usr/src/pcmcia-cs-3.2.1-orinoco-patch.diff

***

RECOMMENDED – If this is the first time you are compiling a kernel after
installing Debian, you can copy the old settings from the woody install.

cp /boot/config-2.4.18-fb2.4 /usr/src/linux/.config

***

Configure your kernel.

cd /usr/src/linux

make menuconfig / config / xconfig / oldconfig

Under 'General setup', make sure 'PCMCIA/CardBus support' is NOT
selected.

Under 'Network device support', except for the next item below, make
sure no PCMCIA network card is selected.

Under 'Network device support', 'Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)', select:

'Hermes chipset 802.11b support (Orinoco/Prism2/Symbol)'
'Prism 2.5 PCI 802.11b adaptor support (EXPERIMENTAL)'

Clean all the binaries out and prepare to build a new kernel.

make-kpkg clean

Create the new kernel and pcmcia-module package.

make-kpkg –revision=custom.1 kernel_image modules_image

Install the new packages.

cd /usr/src

dpkg -i kernel-image*.deb pcmcia-modules*.deb

Install any other modules packages (ie – alsa).

Reboot.

Hope this helps,

Ken