Re: dhcp setup on debian woody

    "Paulo" == Paulo Lopes <plopes@juventude.fdti.pt> writes:

    Paulo> hi, i want to connect my laptop to a dhcp network and i've
    Paulo> been using it with static IP. I've been reading the
    Paulo> /etc/network/interfaces file and don't know exactly what to
    Paulo> do for dhcp. Nevertheless i've been trying to make it work
    Paulo> and in the howto's i've read it says that i need to install
    Paulo> "dhcpcd", i do apt-get install dhcpcd and i get a reply
    Paulo> that that package does not exist (at least on my distro
    Paulo> woody/stable).

apt-get install dhcp-client

(or install the 'pump' package instead, some people like that, but I
believe there are issues when used on a machine with more than one
ethernet interface).

    Paulo> Can someone tell me how to configure it?

    Paulo> i've a ip static network on eth1 (pcmcia and working) and
    Paulo> need a dhcp on eth0 (internat ethernet adapter) all the
    Paulo> modules work and were built for the 2.4.18 kernel. All i
    Paulo> need it dhcpcd or something else that can do the same, and
    Paulo> a sample /etc/network/interfaces, of course if there's
    Paulo> anything else you can let me know :-)

Add the following two lines to your interfaces file

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

The first line brings up the interface at boot time, you can leave it
out if you don't want this (on a laptop, your probably don't want to
use that line.....).

If you are using a 2.4.18-{arch} kernel be sure to include a line with
the word 'af_packet' in /etc/modules.

Cheers!
Shyamal