Re: Which laptop.....

On Friday 15 November 2002 07:33, Richard Ibbotson wrote:

> This month's LJ has a feature written by Heather Mead which starts
> with a reference to Toshiba and their insistence that you shall use
> M$ products on their laptops.   Heather would like us to have a
> look at..
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6318
>
> personally I took the hint and put Debian 3.0 into my Toshiba
> Libretto.  A friend of mine also installs Linux of any sort into
> any Toshiba hardware that he finds :)

When I first started looking for a laptop, I'd asked all my Linux
friends what experiences they'd had with laptops and Linux.  I got a
Toshiba based on the feedback I got, or lack of negative feedback,
that is.

I own a Toshiba Satellite 1805-S274 and keep notes on it at
http://www.wigglit.com/toshiba_notes.html.  There are 2 or 3 other
Toshibas of this model listed at http://www.linux-laptop.net.  It's
interesting that each of those (and my) websites notes particular
problems with this model but the problems don't seem consistent
between the involved webmasters.  I mean, I don't have half the
problems that those webmasters have with their Toshibas.  APM works
without a hitch, and I've no CPU overheating problems (reflashing the
BIOS took care of that).

Alot of Linux laptop users out there are quick to condemn a brand of
notebook because they think they are so Linux-smart that it MUST be a
problem with the laptop or the distribution...when usually its a
problem with the operator.

It must also be noted that no one considers the feat of being able to
carry a full-blown computer around nowadays.  Having that much
computer power in your bag or backpack while traveling is just
amazing, but its become so commonplace that I think people are numb
to the wow factor...everything that affects a normal computer is
multiplied exponentially with a notebook.  There are bound to be
problems with certain makes/models, due to design flaws or just plain
physics.  People are so pampered nowadays that all they want to see
are positive results.

I've not tried Debian on this laptop yet, although I've run Libranet
1.9.1 on it.  It's currently running Slackware 8.1.  I'm sooooo
tempted to try a Debian install on it but its running pretty much
perfectly at the moment...I'd hate to ruin that serenity.  :o)

--
Ron aka W|GGL|T
http://www.wigglit.com