Re: hdparm spinndown always wakes up

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 08:34:36AM +0200, holgerwarm@web.de wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I'm using an acer TM 521 TEV. APM support is integrated into my kernel.
>
> My problem is:
> When I close my notebook it puts itself to sleep, fine.
> But when I want to use the hdparm -S to let my harddisc spindown when
> it's not in use it alway wakes up after about 10 sec.
> On my old system with suse it didn't do that, how can I get it working

Perhaps you're using a journalled file system now? (eg. ext3, reiser etc)

Another possibility is that it is woken up by *access* to file - the
kernel will then update the "last access time" (atime). This can be
avoided my mounting the filesystem with the "noatime" option, but will
effectively break things that rely on atime (popularity-contest, some
mail notification tools)

If you're using ext2 throughout the disk (excluding swap :-), then
the noflushd package will probably be useful for you.

HTH

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com