Re: HTTPS TROUBLE

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 08:40:49AM -0700, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:
> On Thursday 05 September 2002 08:02 am, c tripp wrote:
> > thanks everybody for the quick response.  i am in fact using konqueror.
> > new to linux as i am, i'm curious about the fact that everyone seems to be
> > pro-"mozilla".  is it better than konqueror in some way...?  perhaps i
> > should migrate.
> >
> > in the meantime, does anyone know the appropriate apt-get info for the
> > file(s) i need to enable konqueror?

You need the kde crypto support.

> I use both konq and Mozillla, in addition to lynx and links console text
> browsers.  I even have opera.  I also have netscape.  Sometimes it is handy
> to have different browsers for different web sites.

I have found that Konqueror's javascript support is incomplete, its java
works fine (as long as you have it installed) and people can't figure
out where to tweak cookies even with a very cute cupcake icon in
preferences.

At an internet lounge I just ran, tweaking cookies on, off, or flushed
was a very highly desired feature and all of the major browsers will be
hearing abug report filing about it.  I often tweak the cookies state
but just didn't think how much digging through menus it is until this.

> I visited one site that insisted I either use IE or Netscape, it simply
> wouldn't work with konq and opera.  I keep my browsers honest, so they
> identify as themselves.

Opera worked fine from a js perspective but it's so full of whizbang
that people felt lost.  SO lost in fact, that I hardly think they
noticed the ads.

> Mozilla is in my opinion the fullest featured and most able browser available
> for Linux today.  Konq is in my opinion the fastest (if you are already
> running kde). I also use Galeon, but that is more like a spiffy front end to
> Mozilla, and still isn't as fast on this machine running Woody.

Galeon really is mozilla, different skin.  Find me a way to use less
than all of Mozilla on low-quality systems (only 32 or 40 MB of true
RAM) and I'll be paying closer attention.

> Opera rarely gets used these days.  I'll probably remove it since all the
> others do what it could/should.
>
> You will need to locate pluggins for them.  This is a pain imo.  Konq is
> supposed to use netscape (therefore Mozilla) pluggins, but half the time when
> I visit a flash enabled site, konq opens ten pages pointing to flash
> downloads!

Actually, half the time I visit a flash enabled site, it goes crazy with
the stupid pop-ups and pop-unders, so that may just be a speed issue...

I love the current Mozilla's ability to deny extra window launches, but
I wish I could allow it on a persite basis the way cookies and
js-overall are.

IE's "security zones" is not really good enough.

> Java is another one you will probably want.  I used the recommend jre2 from
> blackdown.  The non-free package has been Debianized, so you can simply add
> that line to your /etc/apt/sources.list and install it pain free.  The one
> problem with this Java is it is S L O W, but fully functional.

> Good luck on getting them all set up.

Is there a debian package for the zen browser?  I don't think it speaks
to X yet, but at least it is gui.  (while we're pulling all of 'em out
of a hat)

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...