Re: Woody on Sony VAIO PCG-8A6M, GRX316G

On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 13:31, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I am both new to debian and new to sony's vaio.
>   My machine has a 16.1 inch screen with a physical resolution of
> 1600x1200. The ads say it has a ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500. Is there any
> other machine like that?

It sounds a lot like my Vaio GRX570. Same screen size and video card. If
it's a 16.1" screen, it's definitely a GRX model.

>   Did anybody have this laptop and installed woody on it? How to
> activate sound and acpi? How to activate an external mouse, the cd
> writer, dvd player and usb?

Yep. I configured sound using ALSA (it's an AC '97 card), and ACPI with
the latest patches from acpi.sourceforge.net. Buttons, battery, and
processor power states are supported; suspend isn't without the swsusp
patch (which IME is really unstable), and sleep isn't supported by the
laptop hardware.

If you use Dexconf with X 4.2 (see below), you'll automatically
configure a USB external mouse, using HID/Input Core support (if it's
turned on in your kernel). The USB hardware is a standard UHCI chipset,
so using the usb.o or usb-uhci.o modules works (I use the latter). You
should also install something like usbmgr to automatically deal with USB
devices.

The CD writer can be configuring as per the CD Writing HOWTO in
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO. You'll need SCSI emulation turned on. Although the
configuration is hairy at first, it works great. I haven't tried the DVD
player.

>   I did a basic installation but with not much of a success. There is
> support for the internal mouse, but the mouse sometimes is very, very
> inaccurate -it jumps-.

This sounds like you might have GPM running. Try '/etc/init.d/gpm stop'
and restart X.

>   The XServer hangs sometimes the whole machine. It jumps. Can it be
> possible that the xserver hangs the whole machine? At least CTRL+ALT+DEL
> or ALT+F1 doesn't work anymore...

Yes. Very often, if I switch off of X (using ctrl+alt+f1), and then
switch back, the machine locks. I can still ssh in, and pressing the
power button for a software shutdown works, but it won't do anything
else. If I switch to a console, then shut down X, then restart X, it
will load without a problem. It's a pain, it's easier to just avoid
using the console if possible.

>   What is the right approach to setup XFree? I believe I now use a
> default vga x-server (Driver "vesa"???).

To get any kind of decent graphics, you'll need to use XFree 4.2.
http://people.debian.org/~branden has preliminary debs available, but
only for the unstable distribution. The Dexconf configuration works
okay, with the 'radeon' driver. 3D acceleration should also work.
--
 - Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>  -  http://www.sacredchao.net
  "What I did was justified because I had a policy of my own... It's