Re: Can boot 2.2 but not 2.4 kernel

It would help to know what the messages are leading up to the kernel
panic.

When I upgraded to 2.4.18 I elected (stupidly) to put IDE disk support in
a module, which meant it wasn't available at boot time, so the kernel
couldn't mount the root filesystem. Bad idea. The message was something
like "VFS: can't mount root filesystem. Kernel Panic."

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu