Re: Weird ssh problem

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 06:14:04PM -0700, Heather Stern wrote:

Thanks for your help Heather, but it was a network problem at my provider. Everything
works now without a change in my config.

But it was still weird that 1 remote user didn't work, and the others did.

> On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 06:35:55PM +0200, Jo Geraerts wrote:
> oh, that's not so good, mine says
> debug1: identity file /home/heather/.ssh/identity type 0
> debug1: identity file /home/heather/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
> debug1: identity file /home/heather/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
> So I'd interpret that as saying you don't have any keys as far as it's
> concerned.

I deleted them so i could test if they weren't currupted. But if i ssh to root@host1
as the same local user, it worked. In that case the ssh client didn't find the
keys either, but the remote host asked for the password.

> > debug1: Found key in /home/ernie/.ssh/known_hosts:1
> This being why on your side.  If you're on testing, this means it's
> using ssh 1 protocol, I think... a type 2 would have been found in
> known_hosts2 (rsa or dsa).

i think the :1 stands for the x'th key in know_hosts, so it's the first key that matches
the remote host.
> > Connection closed by 213.119.61.223
> However the distant server isn't configured to try that.  No key, no
> donut.
> > debug1: Calling cleanup 0x80633cc(0x0)
> ... so it hangs up.

It hangs up after a loooong timeout ( 10 minutes or so). So i think it was
expecting some packets.

> > At this point one should think there is something wrong with the user jgeraert.
> > But when i ssh from another server (i used the server at school)
> > ssh jgeraert@host1 works just fine like it should.
>
> Good, but that suggests that it's not permissions in jgervert@host1's
> .ssh account.  The other users on the same site working means that you
> don't have too deeply broken an sshd setup (the daemon on host1).  So
> it's down to permissions in your CLIENT-side .ssh directory, and whether
> or not you have a key.

It couldn't be the client side permissions either, because with the same
local user i could ssh' to root@host1 and tester@host1.

> > tcp        0     28 adsl-96904.turbol:33097 D5773DDF.kabel.tel:2223 ESTABLISHED
> Isn't it normal to have some packets-in-flight on a connection which is
> expected to be a session?

yes but in when i looked multiple times, the send-q value didn't change. I don't
think there are always the same amount of packets in flight.

But now everything is fixed. Many thanks to my provider that made me go nuts :-),
and thanks to everybody on the mailinglist that tried to help me out.

Greetz,

Jo