Re: Another guide for a diskless installation?

on Sun, Jun 16, 2002, debian.org@lkv.mailshell.com (debian.org@lkv.mailshell.com) wrote:
> I have an IBM Thinkpad 560 with no external floppy drive or (any)
> CD-ROM.  It's running Win '95 with no other partitions and the only
> way to get data in or out of the laptop is with an Ethernet PC Card.

Ouch.

Getting access to a floppy will help you to no end.  These should be
available used.

Otherwise, I'd probably approach this by:

   - Getting a partition manager on the system.
   - Repartitioning Win95 down to a portion of the disk (you don't say
     how big it is).
   - Installing GNU/Linux onto the other portion of the disk using
     LOADLIN and a base image.

I've written a Debian chroot install guide which may be of some use to
you:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/GNU/Linux/FAQs/DebianChrootInstall.html

> That's why I'd like to execute a diskless installation.  The
> installation guide seems to treat this type of installation as an
> afterthought, but I'm also having trouble finding a more thorough
> guide to a diskless installation.
>
> I'm also looking to convert this laptop into a basic Internet surfing
> machine.  What *lightweight* browsers can I use?  I also define weight
> to be total weight, including any desktop GUIs that I'll need to
> install.  I've heard of Galeon and Skipstone, and I think at least of
> of them needs GNOME (I was also originally thinking about using
> XFree86).

Galeon is quite the nice browser, Skipstone unfortunately has more
potential than fulfillment.  However for your system, I'd suggest:

   - BrowseX.  Probably the most full-featured browser for the hardware
     you're contemplating.  It's based on Tk/Tcl, but supports SSL and
     Javascript, making it useful across a wide range of sites.

   - Barring that, one of the old Netscape browsers, possibly back in
     the 3.x series.  Note that these have security issues with
     Java/Javascript.

   - Opera may be suitable.  It's non-free, but is reported to run well
     on light hardware.

Other options include text-mode browsers (w3m rocks) and dillo, but both
offer functionality compromises.  I don't know of other browsers that
would run well and offer a full feature set.

More reviews:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/GNU/Linux/FAQs/browsers.html

Peace.

   NPR:  Radio for between the ears:  http://www.npr.org/