Re: hubs and switches

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Andrew Perrin wrote:

> Well, saying "a router is basically a hub or a switch on steroids" is
> somewhat akin to saying a car is basically a child's wagon on steroids; it
> misses the central point of a router. Yes, a router will (often) have
> several network ports built in (although technically I think that's just a
> router and a hub in the same box); but what makes it a router is the
> ability to program it to read packets and send them in the right direction
> -- something neither hubs nor switches can do.
in general hubs only broadcast all traffic to all ports
siwthces select on hardware-addressing to see what needs to go where
routers select on IP-packet level to deside on which goes where and are
indeed programmable.
I think a rounter wiht mroe network-ports still is a router cause it still
will decide on ip-level info.

> Furthermore, there's no requirement that a router have multiple (e.g.,
> >2) network ports; to be a router it only needs to have one network
> connection per network being routed (generally, for home use, one for your
> DSL or cable modem and the other for your private network).
yep, the router needs to do network-address-translation for that to work
and possibly ppp-over-ethernet as well.
YOu've got those new fancy swithces with linux-routing project build
inside (basicly becoming a router) that do that job nicely.

> You're right that you don't need a separate router if you've got a machine
> masquerading. Essentially what's happening is the masquerading machine is
> acting as a router. There's no conceptual difference between a router and
> a computer with two (or more) network cards, each plugged into a different
> network; a dedicated router is cheaper and more secure than a computer
> doing the job, but technologically speaking it's essentially the same
> thing.
your masq-box becomes router.
YOu need a switch or hub behind it and a local ip-range or so