Re: LAN help requested

At 00:51 2002-06-11, Mail User wrote:
The ethernet cards ARE supported by the kernel images
i'm using in each machine, and no i don't need to load
modules. I use ifconfig to program each card with an
IP. Here's what my ifconfig -a looks like from one
laptop:

eth0  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:5A:1B:F3:6B
inet addr:10.0.0.1  Bcast:10.255.255.255

As stated, include full output...

Now according to the network administrators guide, I
should add a route entry; so i do this "route add -host
10.0.0.3" to which i get the error code:
SIOCADDRT: No such device.

Yes, since they are on the same subnet (10.0.0.x) you need no route table.
Otherwise the error "No such device" is because you have stated that there exist another host on the net (10.0.0.3) but not which gateway to use to get to this host.
Check the man page for route later. You might need it.
By heart it is something like:
route add -host hostip gw gatewayip
                   ----^
         This is what you missed... Specify gateway.

Check that the cable is crossed first.
That's a common problem. :)

//I
-