Re: kernel

Daniel Pittman wrote:
On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, blueraven@libero.it wrote:

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 01:08:20AM -0500, Hubert Chan wrote:

do it the normal way, I'll forget something.  Debian provides some
helpful scripts for compiling and installing kernels, automatically
applying patches (which you can specify, if they're available for the
kernel version), and compiling and installing 3rd party modules.

Stop here! :-) I'm very interested in knowing what you mean with
"automatically applying patches":

It means exactly that -- the kernel-image package can automatically
apply patches for you. :)

kernel-image?  Surely you mean kernel-package? (make-kpkg)

Most, if not all, of the Debian kernel patches (freeswan, for example)
come in a form that kernel-image can automatically apply.

The keyword being 'can'. After you create a script for each patch you want. It ended up being more trouble than it was worth. I couldn't figure out why the author didn't just apply any patches found in the right directory, rather than insist on a script for each patch (except that for non-Debian patches you'd probably need some way to specify the -pN argument to each patch).

Grab the kernel-image package. It covers the details of what it can do.

kernel-package :-)
--
derek