Re: kernel

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 03:54:35PM -0500, Dutch wrote:

> Generally, do you recommend comiling a kernel my hand, the "normal way",
> or the debian way? (Ive done it a 100 times the "normal way" but under
> slackware & rat hed 7.2 - never under debian).
>
> If the debian way, where would I find a "debian-ized" kernel to download,
> and where could I find a clearly written, step by step procedure?
>
> Thanks!

Look up the package 'kernel-package'. This provides scripts to build a
debian package out of kernel source.

Alternatively, you could apt-get install kernel-image-<version>-<arch>
and install a precompiled, Debian-ized kernel (made using the
abovementioned kernel-package, I believe.) These ones also have some
bugfix patches applied.

If you wanted to optimize your machine toward some purpose, and knew
enough about kernel patching and compiling, you could compile it
yourself, with the patches you want. Myself, I stick to the debian
canned kernels, since it's easier than recompiling every time a new
kernel is released. Plus, I missed the nasty problems with 2.4.11 and
2.4.15, since they didn't make it into debian packages :)

However, I'm not advocating one method over another, since each have
benefits (and drawbacks) that may or may not apply given your situation.

HTH & HAND,
--
Mike Alborn <malborn@odoitau.dyn.dhs.org>
# http://odoitau.dyn.dhs.org

 "Someone's been mean to you! Tell me who it is, so I can punch him tastefully."
-- Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse