Re: Problems with Dell 510C and modprobe

On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 17:44, Lars G. T. Jorgensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Ive been looking around the net about the Dell laptops and APM. But I
> havent found the solution to my specific problem witch is. That
> modprobe apm hangs forever(*) with a 2.4.18-686 kernel. The list
> archive says something about some APCI options when building the
> kernel. But the funny thing is that "insmod apm" works just fine.
> Does anyone have some suggestions to a solution?

Do you have Local APIC or IO APIC (not the same as ACPI which is related
to power management) enabled in the kernel? If you have, APM won't work
and the symptoms will be really strange. The machine will behave like
you fed it something inappropriate.

Look at this thread:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2002/debian-laptop-200201/msg00191.html
and this message in particular:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2002/debian-laptop-200201/msg00227.html

I do this:
- I then take the kernel-source package for the same kernel version, and
  untar it in /usr/src.
- I take the precompiled debian kernel (2.4.18-686) and grab its config
  file from /boot/config-2.4.18-686 and copy that config to
  /usr/src/kernel-.../ with the name .config.
- I then run make menuconfig and go to "Processor type and features" and
  answer N to "Local APIC support on uniprocessors". Then I exit and
  save the config. I change nothing else.
- I then run "make-kpkg --initrd --revision inspiron.x.x kernel_image"
  where x.x is some version number I make up. After a while I get a deb
  package in /usr/src that contains a very nice kernel and every module
  I could wish for. (Which is good when you have, say pcmcia cards of
  yet undefined models that you might have to use. The module will be
  there if needed.) dpkg --install'ing this package (plus a little
  tweking with symlinks in some cases) is all there's left after that.

Note:
- It will be an initrd kernel, which means you have to configure your
  bootloader to use initrd. It's really easy. The man page for lilo
  explains quite a lot.
- You need the kernel-package package for make-kpkg and some other
  packages (at least cramfs-tools if I recall correctly) to accomplish
  the above.

Cheers,
fabbe