Re: Using a Serial mouse and Mousepad with Xfree86

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 11:27, Riaan Rottier wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a laptop that I also use as a workstation, it works fine with
> both the mousepad and an external serial mouse. But I was wondering, is
> there a way in which you can switch between using the external mouse and
> mousepad without having to re-configure XFree every time ?  It work with
> a PS/2 mouse since both the PS/2 mouse and the mousepad gets mapped to
> /dev/mouse but the serial port doesn't work the same way.

Yes... it's quite do-able in X (and console too btw)

Configure your Internal mousepad as usual.... and give it the
"CorePointer" statement.

Configure another Device section, for the external mouse, but replace
CorePointer with 'SendCoreEvents' (check manpage for exact spelling and
syntax)

X will use the internal mouse, but will accept input from the external
mouse as well (if it's there)...

You could also check my webpage... I have an X-4 config file on there
that should contain the needed info:

www.maniac.nl/linuxlaptop.html

Mark