Re: cd writing

>>>>> "steve" == steve thompson <stevetxt@yahoo.com> writes:

[...]

steve> # xcdroast
steve> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
steve> Xlib: Invalid XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 key (failed key comparison)
steve> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

steve> Can anyone explain what the problem and solution are here?

problem: root is not authorized to connect to the X server.  X uses
various authentication schemes to ensure that bad people don't connect
and screw you up.  I believe that at the level X works at, it can't tell
whether or not it's the local root trying to connect, so root doesn't
get any special privileges here.

solution: there are many.

- use xhost: not recommended, but if you want to, read the xhost man
  page

- use xauth: as root "xauth merge $(USER'S HOME)/.Xauthority" (or
  something like that).  This gives root the correct "magic cookie",
  which it uses to authenticate itself to the X server

- "export XAUTHORITY=$(USER'S HOME)/.Xauthority" basically does the same
  thing as xauth (in terms of end result), but differs in details that
  you may or may not be interested in.  man xauth if you want to learn
  more.

- use sudo: sudo is sorta like su, except that it allows more control --
  it allows you grant certain users the authority to run certain
  commands as root (or some other user), instead of having to give the
  root password to everyone who needs to do something as root.  It also
  automagically sets up the XAUTHORITY variable

- ssh into your root account, and use ssh's root forwarding: probably a
  waste of CPU

This has got to be a documented FAQ somewhere.  Anyone know where?

steve> Also, much of the time I use the laptop without the cdrw/dvdrom
steve> inserted, to have it light (2.8 lbs) to carry.  What would be the
steve> best way to manage the modules for this intermittent use?

I use the idectl script from the hdparm package (it's in the
/usr/share/doc/hdparm/examples directory), to force the OS to rescan the
IDE bus.  That makes it load the modules properly.  I don't remember if
it makes any modules unload, though.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA