PCMCIA modem appearing on ttyS4 (and not working)

My Dell Latitude CSx has a redhat-6.2 partition and a debian unstable
partition.  I've got a linksys 10/100/56K ether/modem combo card.

When I boot redhat, inserting the card causes the modem to show up on
ttyS1, and all is well.

However, when I boot debian, the modem shows up on ttyS4.  Now /dev/ttyS4
exists (with the right major/minor and perms) and /dev/modem is a symlink
to it.  But trying to use it fails completely; no response from the modem.

Any idea what's causing the different behaviour?  Both partitions are running
a 2.4.18 kernel.

Thanks,

   - Ian