Re: learning programming

On Sat, 2001-12-01 at 18:26, Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:

> --- Alec <alec1976nyc@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 November 2001 11:01 pm, Mr. Jan
> > Hearthstone wrote:
> > >      Where do I start learning programming so that
> > > can compile installs, etc.? Right now I am
> > learning
> > > HTML a bit, but what else should I start learning?
> > >   Thanks Hearthstone.
> >
> > You don't usually need to be a programmer to compile
> > things.
> > For non-debian GNU packages,
> > ./configure && make install
> > usually suffices.
> >
> > If you just want to learn programming, pick a
> > language depending on your
> > specific goals and your background and learn that
> > language. Either way, it's
> > probably OT on this particular mailing list.
> >
> > Alec
> >

>     But let's suppose that I want to learn programming
> (perhaps to compile kernels, etc.) - what would be a
> good start? Symbolic logic? (Where to get a good
> instruction on that one?) C++? ... Slip? What language
> is the one most widely used for Linux?
>   Thnx, Hrthstn.

Mr. Hearthstone,

As others have pointed out, you do not need to be a programmer to
configure and compile the Linux kernel. You don't even have to be able
to read source code. Go to http://debian.org  and follow the
documentation links.

If you want to learn programming, Perl is a fun language. See if your
local bookstore has "Learning Perl," by Randall Schwartz and Tom
Christiansen. If they don't have it you can order it directly from the
publisher, O'Reilly Books - http://www.oreilly.com/.

Good luck, and have fun!

Tony