Wireless Networking

I just bought two D-Link wireless PCMCIA ethernet cards (DWL-650 & DWL-500
= 650+PCI<->PCMCIA) and am trying to set up an ad hoc link between my
firewall/router and laptop.  my basic question is how do you setup and
debug the link?  my firewall (a Cyrix586 machine running OpenBSD
2.9) and laptop (running potato + hand rolled kernel 2.2.19 and pcmcia-cs
3.1.27) both recognize the hardware.  i'm able set things up using
ifconfig, route, etc.  but nothing happens.  how can i tell if the cards
are even talking to one another?  do i have to manually set an SSID?  is
there a non-kernel program which manipulates the settings of the card?

TIA,
craig

Dr. Craig T. Milling
c-milli@uiuc.edu