Re: hardware profiles?

Matt Pepper wrote:

> My biggest concern is that I wonder if the PC card ethernet port will hang
> at home with no network cable attached and no DHCP server responding to it.
> Any idea if this will be a problem?

You can edit /etc/pump.conf - here's mine:

# pump configuration file.

# Set the timeout to allow for 2 seconds to get a DHCP answer.
timeout 2

# turn off pump's annoying attempts to obliterate my /etc/resolve.conf at
# every opportunity
device eth0 {
  nodns
}

This means that the DHCP will time out in two seconds (assuming you're using pump,
which most recent Debian installations are, although perhaps not Progeny).

I have written a bunch of scripts and things to try and make this sort of thing
easier to reconfigure which are available in Debian as 'whereami' (just went into
unstable this week, but should install without problem in stable or testing if you
download it).

Also, consider using "lspci | grep ..." to detect whether the laptop is docked, if
that is important outside of knowing which network you are on (like if you have
drives in the docking station that you only want to try and mount if they are there.

Cheers,
					Andrew.
           Andrew McMillan, e-mail: Andrew@catalyst.net.nz
Catalyst IT Ltd, PO Box 10-225, Level 22, 105 The Terrace, Wellington
Me: +64 (21) 635 694, Fax: +64 (4) 499 5596, Office: +64 (4) 499 2267