Re: Kernel 2.4.2's compilation on Toshiba 2800-100

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 09:24:45PM +0200, Thierry leurent wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 04:15:16 -0300
> Peter Cordes <peter@llama.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 08:11:36AM +0200, Thierry leurent wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have a Toshiba 2800-100 with the debian potato.
> > > I compile the kernel 2.4.2 and when i reboot the system, i receive the message "Kernel decompression OK" and it freeze
> > >
> > > Do you have a solution ???
> >
> >  What config options did you use?  Did you choose any different options from
> > what you used in other kernel's you've compiled for that machine?
>
> I take the original config of the potato, i unselect modules for non yamaha's soundcards and choose PIII CPU in a first time after i use pentium MMX CPU.
> It's possible that come from the version of glibc, gcc or from the Frame
> buffer module ??

 Try again without any framebuffer modules.  You can just use VGA text mode
on the console with x86 hardware.  If you pick the wrong framebuffer, the
kernel might boot but it won't be able to show anything on the screen.

 The GCC in potato shouldn't have any problems compiling the kernel.  glibc
makes zero difference.  The kernel doesn't touch glibc.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y